What does joining NZNO really mean, both for you and for nursing in New Zealand?
We think there are lots of benefits, on three levels:
1. Collective power for good
By joining NZNO you become part of something bigger and more powerful than you can be on your own. The collective will and purpose of NZNO members works for the betterment of both you and nursing.
Together we uplift the health and wellbeing of Aotearoa.
Our members have a shared vision of healthy communities and good health outcomes. So we come together as a 53,000+ strong nursing voice to advocate for our patients, our health care system and our profession. Together we ensure the nursing voice is heard when decisions that impact on health are made. From legislation to policy and standards we actively advocate for enhanced patient care and workforce wellbeing.
Together we advance the profession.
We work together to advocate for the profession. We know the nursing team is the foundation of good health. So together we champion, advocate and promote nursing in policy, funding, workforce planning and models of care. We do this from a local workplace level right up to a national level. When we speak up together we can be heard.
Together we ensure fairness at work.
We believe in fairness at work. So we strive together to be the voice of fairness and justice wherever nurses, midwives and caregivers are employed. When we work together we can ensure everyone has a healthy, safe and fair workplace. When we work together we can also ensure everyone’s contributions are fairly and equitably recognised at work with good pay and conditions.
Back to top
2. Services including professional development, workplace protection and more
As the largest professional health advocacy body in New Zealand, NZNO has the size and resources to bring its members a range of services:
NZNO core activities
- More than 120 staff in offices around the country working with and for you
- Trained organisers and delegates on the ground and in your workplace
- Professional, industrial and legal services when you need them
- On the spot help and advice from the Member Support Centre
- Negotiation of around 130 collective agreements across the professions
- Strong alliances with leading nursing bodies both locally and internationally
- Lobbying and advocacy on local and national legislative programmes that affect nursing
- Established and robust democratic structures
Services to members
- 23 special interest Colleges and Sections to provide professional leadership, support, advice and advocacy
- Professional indemnity insurance underwritten by QBE
- Education: conferences and workshops to support your career development
- Student support and help for those new to the profession
- A wide range of scholarships and grants.
- Kai Tiaki Nursing New Zealand monthly journal
- Publications including standards, code of ethics, position statements, advice and guidelines
- A comprehensive research programme to support the aspirations of members
- A comprehensive library containing resource material often not available elsewhere
Back to top
3. Sundry benefits
In addition to those mentioned above, NZNO offers a range of other tangible benefits. We've harnessed the collective buying power of our members to negotiate some special deals for you.
- Accuro Health Insurance: offers NZNO members a discount of 5% off the life of their SmartCare/+ health insurance policy.
- ANZ@work banking: this package gives NZNO members home lending discounts as well as benefits and fee-savings on everyday banking.
- ASURE Accommodation Loyalty Group programme: NZNO members are eligible to stay at three or more ASURE Accommodation Group properties and receive $100 off their 10th stay.
- Hertz: offers NZNO members discounted daily rental car rates, discounted airport fees and discounted accident excess reduction.
- NZNO Bach, Sounds Cottage: be part of a great nursing tradition and visit NZNO's Sounds Cottage, an affordable opportunity to recharge and relax nestled in remote Opua Bay in the Queen Charlotte Sound, Marlborough.
- Union Plus Financial Services: gives NZNO members a gift voucher to match the first months premium (up to $100) if they take out any personal Life, Trauma, Mortgage Protection cover or health Insurance with us..
- Travel insurance: Allianz offers NZNO members up to a 33% discount on travel insurance standard rates.
Back to top